Floral tana lawn blouse – FINISHED

Despite being uncharacteristically restrained up until this point, I had a blow-out.

TWO Craftsy classes may have been purchased while I was procrastinating from the letters page (I mean, subbing hard) at work today. Usually the promotional emails that hit my inbox every day rebound into my deleted items before I can read the words “flash sale”.

But today I was weak. I succumbed to the temptations of Adjust the Bust and the Flirty Day Dress. I love the other Craftsy classes I’ve enrolled in, and while I *technically* haven’t finished any of them, I find them a wonderful resource and the price of a paper pattern accompanying the class almost justifies the class itself for the project-based classes.

After all, isn’t all education a good investment?

Even the kind that enables my expensive sewing obsession that leads to what is essentially “look at me, look at me” blogging?

I certainly think so!

Speaking of which, I finished a blouse!

P1110396

Continue reading

Advertisements

Spring races, vintage style – FINISHED

Check it out! A finished dress. This one was lovingly made to wear to the spring races. Any excuse to sew, eh?

P1110310

This little baby is Butterick 5880 sewed in a lovely purpley-blue textured vintage rayon. I bought it from a one-off market-type sale in my country town where a few little old ladies cleaned out their stashes. Initially I had no idea what I would make, but B5880 seemed a perfect fit. I wanted a classy vintage pattern that would do the fabric justice. I’m happy with my choice. And I still have about a metre of fabric left, so double win!

blue brushed rayon 2

P1110303

Pattern alterations and design changes

The pattern is a size 12 with very minor alterations (for a change!)

I used the petite adjustments included in the pattern, and took about an inch off the bodice back at the centre back on the fold. I also added a half inch to the fullest part of the hips on the skirt back to give my booty a bit more breathing room.

P1110304

I made a muslin and was very pleasantly surprised with the overall fit. I was ESPECIALLY pleased I didn’t have to do an FBA, but after looking at the finished garment measurements printed on the tissue, I was satisfied the 12 would do the trick.

P1110306

I also had to work with a VERY flexible cutting layout as the pattern is drafted for cutting on a 115cm fabric bolt – and my beautiful rayon was only 90cm wide. I had to alter the overlay quite a bit to make it fit, and I was worried my side drapey bit of the overlay would look odd because of all my messing with the overlay pattern piece, but I think I pulled it off.

P1110312

Construction notes

This dress came together very quickly, and even more so thanks to the Professor Pincushion video tutorial explaining the overlay construction. I think I would have been a bit stuck on working out the tucks from the pattern instructions without being able to see how it’s done, so the video was a godsend. Everything else is very, very basic. And it’s also easy to cut out all the pieces of this dress because almost everything is on the fold!

P1110301

P1110305

Leah joined me for a photo or two!

P1110300

P1110307

P1110297

Nawww!

ANYWAY, back to the dress. So I also really wanted to make a self-covered belt, but seeing as I didn’t get around to making the belt until the night before the races, it was only then that I worked out the belt buckle I had intended to use wasn’t going to work. This is the offending notion:

Firstly, you will observe there is no bar, and I don’t have an eyelet punch gadget thingy, so that wasn’t going to work. But besides that, there is NOWHERE on the packet that explains how you cover the damn thing! And google offers no insights, either. I couldn’t be farked stuffing around with it so I instead wore a belt from my vast number of belts. Making my own belts is going to happen, though. I can just tell it’s something I’m going to love the shit out of. So stay tuned for that one when I get my mits on proper beltmaking tools!

I didn’t take any photos of the inside, but the dress is lined in off-white rayon I bought while it was on sale for $6/metre.

P1110314

And that’s it! I’m SO very keen to get started on my next project, but I have a shit ton (as you can see) of gardening to do and my house is kind of a mess due to renovating/sewing/Lauren’s laziness. But hopefully I’ll have something to report soon.

elisalex the third – FINISHED

P1110095

ANOTHER Elisalex, you say? Damn straight! After two muslins I wasn’t going to just make this baby once!

My charcoal ponte Elisalex is SUCH a great wardrobe staple for winter. It is comfy, and because I shaved those princess seams down to fit me perfectly (plus the magic of stretch fabrics), it shows off my curves without being skin tight in the wrong places. It made perfect sense for me to make this in another colour, and I do love red! Continue reading

How to fix box pleats that just don’t line up

When I was sewing my Elisalex dress I had a hell of a time trying to get the bodice to match the skirt. I’m sure it was a glaringly obvious step that I overlooked or stuffed up in the fitting/pattern alteration stage, but those damn box pleats just would not match up with the princess seams and side seams on my skirt back, or if I pinned them that way, there was all sorts of issues. I clipped the hell out of my skirt to stretch out to fit my bodice, sewed it up, and was horrified at the results.

Image

Continue reading