Comfy. Versatile. Quick and easy to sew. What’s not to love about Elisalex v2.0?
After Elisalex I I was hellbent on making another dress that was casual, comfortable, and in a knit fabric so I didn’t have to feck around with closures or linings. I picked up some heavyweight charcoal-coloured premium ponte for $11 a metre on sale and whipped up this baby in a couple of sewing sessions (a new feat for me – things go so much faster when you don’t have to do linings!)
My ponte Elisalex is the perfect addition to my winter wardrobe. I find the dresses I wear the most frequently are those that can be worn with tights/stockings, cardigans and boots. She ticks all the boxes! I love her and I will wear her often.
Pattern alterations and design changes
I made a few more pattern alterations since Elisalex I. I made a size 8 graded to a 10 at bust with a 1″ FBA, same as last time. This time I also shortened the bodice by 1.5cm, took a tuck out of the back neckline to eliminate gaping, removed the seam allowance and cut the bodice back on the fold (no need for a zipper with a stretch fabric – double yay), took out about 3cm off the back princess seams and I can’t remember how many cm out of the front princess seams under the bust, and the most obvious design change, swapped the tulip skirt for a circle skirt.
For reference, I am a RTW size 10/12 (Aus/UK sizes). Measurements are 36.5-27-39.
Ponte really is a magical fabric. I wish I’d been brave enough to sew stretch fabrics earlier – they aren’t scary at all! There was no easing the princess seams, and while I did overlock most of my seams, I also stitched the neckline, sleeve and skirt hems in place and trimmed off the excess neatly with teeny tiny scissors. It looks pretty profesh to me!
I actually had to hem her TWICE because I stoopidly didn’t leave her to hang for 24 hours in my excitement to wear her. The next day, the skirt was doing all kinds of crazy things. I put it off for about a week because unpicking ponte is a BITCH. Especially with this dark fabric. I damn near ripped holes in the fabric trying to unpick it. Eventually I just got lazy and chopped off the hem, marked it on my dress form and re-stitched it. So the skirt is probably shorter than I would comfortably wear without tights, but as I said, this is a winter-weight fabric and I doubt this dress will get worn much in summer.
The puppies came to help me take pics, as usual. They aren’t camera shy, tell ya what.
I have the dumbest look on my face but Leah looks cute, so I kept this pic.
A front view that makes my boobs look MUCH smaller than they really are.. they are a good 9 inches bigger than my waist, but I look kind of brickish in this pic.
And a back view. Look at that skirt getting stuck on my booty!
Didn’t wear an “appropriate” bra with this dress but it was freezing cold and I barely wanted to get changed from PJs to the dress, let alone remove my underwear. Meh!
And that’s it. I’m pretty happy with that effort and keen to finish my next almost-finished project – a pencil skirt! Only two days left of my sewing holiday before I have to go back to work! Better get cracking on that shirt dress!