I had a couple of friends visit me today, and anyone willing to venture all the way out to see me at the farm is deserving of some sort of baked good. On the menu today was a tangy, moist and totally delicious lemon pound cake. It’s made with cream cheese and is melt-in-your-mouth amazing, if I do say so myself. Try it and let me know what you think!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 250g cream cheese block, softened
- 1 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste or essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- rind of 2 lemons
- juice of 2 lemons, separated
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease 25cm non-stick fluted ring pan.
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add eggs, one at a time, and then the oil. Stir in the flour, lemon rind and juice of 1 lemon and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into prepared pan. Bake in pre-heated oven for 45-55 minutes or until cooked with tested with a skewer. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.
- Combine the icing sugar with remaining lemon juice to form a thick icing. Drizzle the icing over the cake.
If you love this cake as much as I do, you’ll be pleased to know it freezes well. I have been dividing it into portions and freezing it immediately to stop myself eating it all. I just can’t help myself!
It’s really yummy and moist!